In seeking ways to save energy, many people wrestle with the choice of running their air conditioner unit or enduring the uncomfortable summer heat. However, we’re here to tell you that you don’t have to choose—your electricity bill does not have to skyrocket during the summer because of overusing the HVAC unit. By following a few easy suggestions, it’s possible to stay cool and comfortable regardless of the outside temperature.
Cool Summer Money-Saving Ideas
Here are a few proven ways to save energy and stay cool at the same time:
- Unplug appliances that are not in use. Plugged-in appliances and electronic devices use energy whether or not they are in use. Since electricity consumption adds up over time, turning them off will save money.
- Wear loose, light-colored clothing. Clothing that is heat-resistant keeps you cool by allowing air to flow freely. This can include lightly woven fabric like cotton and linen.
- Block out sunlight. Closing blinds and other window treatments help to shade the inside of your house from too much sunlight, which heats up a room quickly, will definitely help you save. Keep the windows closed to help maintain the cool inside air. Open them only during the cooler parts of the day and at night.
- Adjust the thermostat. Set the thermostat slightly higher than usual. Once the room has cooled, it may be lowered. This way, your air conditioner will not work as hard.
- Limit your use of kitchen appliances. Appliances like the range or oven quickly heat up a room. Use them for as short a period as possible.
- Do necessary air conditioner repairs before summer arrives. Negligence in this area often results in expensive replacements, and forcing a unit to work with malfunctioning parts causes it to burn more electricity.
With caring professionals like those at our Temecula air conditioning company, you can remain cool at a low cost all summer long. We specialize in energy-efficient air conditioner maintenance and air conditioner repair. For more information or to schedule service in your home, call On Time Home Services Heating & Air Conditioning of Temecula at (949) 649-8777