To keep your Temecula air conditioning unit working properly and at peak cooling levels, regular maintenance is essential. One of the most important things you can do for good air conditioner maintenance is changing your air filter regularly.
Your AC’s filter greatly affects your indoor air quality. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the air inside your home is up to five times worse than the air outside. In fact, it often contains pollutants like dust, bacteria, pet dander, hair, and household allergens that get distributed through the air in your home.
The purpose of an air filter is to absorb these pollutants and keep you from breathing them. However, if your air filter becomes clogged or is not the right size for your home and your needs, these particles could still be plaguing your home’s air.
Changing Your Air Filter
Your air filter should always be clean. A dirty filter will slow down and block airflow, making your system work harder to blow cold air. The air conditioner will run longer, resulting in increased energy use and higher energy bills. A clean filter helps to prevent cooling problems, repairs and health problems that can arise from pollutants in the air.
It’s recommended that you change the filter once a month at regular intervals.
How to change your air filter:
- Locate the filter in the furnace unit (central AC) or inside the room air conditioner.
- Remove the outside cover over the filter.
- Remove the filter and replace it with a new one.
- Replace the cover securely.
Tips for Choosing an AC Filter
There are several types of filters from which you can choose:
- electrostatic filter – removes dust particles from the air
- pleated filter – traps dust particles and helps eliminate odors in the air
- HEPA filter – removes dust and dust mite particles, mold spores, pollen, hair, pet dander, and allergens from the air
Filters also have ratings that measure their performance:
- pressure drop rating – measures airflow efficiency; look for a low rating
- efficiency rating – measures the ability to stop air pollutants; look for a high rating
- arrestance – measures the ability to capture dust particles
- dust spot efficiency – measures the ability to remove dust from the air
- MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) – a high MERV rating means better efficiency
On Time Home Services Heating & Air Conditioning in Temecula can service all of your AC repairs, maintenance, and installation needs. We can also help you determine your needs for air filters. For information or assistance, call us at (949) 649-8777