Spring has almost sprung! And while that means warmer weather, spring showers, and beautiful flowers, it also means there will be an influx of pollen, grass and mold floating in the air. For anyone with seasonal allergy symptoms, it can be hard to enjoy spring.
While there isn’t anything you can do to control the weather or plants outside, you can control your indoor air. Maintaining your indoor air quality (IAQ) helps to minimize the allergy symptoms you will experience at home.
At On Time Home Services, we are excited to welcome spring. But we also want to help our customers stay healthy and enjoy the changing weather. Here are a few strategies from our team to help you prepare for spring allergies this season.
Sources of Indoor Allergens
Allergens in the air often end up on the surfaces you touch every day. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, these are the major indoor allergy culprits making your sinuses suffer:
- Wall-to-Wall Carpet
- Cloth Furniture
- Damp Areas
- Indoor Plants
You can combat indoor allergens best by cleaning at the source. That means purifying your air and scrubbing your home regularly.
Tips for Improving IAQ
First and foremost, focus on eliminating airborne particles before they can settle on your furniture. Here are a few tips for improving your IAQ.
- Change your air filter every 30 days. This keeps airborne particulates out of your air and increases your HVAC system efficiency at the same time.
- Choose an air filter with a high Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) rating. Filters have MERV ratings from 1-16 that demonstrate their effectiveness to homeowners. Although filters with higher MERV ratings are more expensive, they will be worth the money during the Spring allergy season.
- Consider adding an air purification system. There are all sorts of air purifiers that you can install directly into your ductwork to better eliminate unwanted airborne particles from your air.
Tips for Cleaning Surface Allergens
Realistically, there will always be some allergens that sneak into your home through the doors, on your clothes, or on your furry friends. Here are a few ways to safely remove allergens from the surfaces in your home.
- Dust with a damp cloth or a wet wipe to avoid kicking up dust into the air.
- Vacuum everywhere—even inside the furniture! Vacuuming the floors is very important, especially in carpeted rooms. You should also vacuum couch cushions and bedding areas to help reduce dust mites. Consider using a vacuum with a HEPA filter to reduce the number of particles that spread into the air while you vacuum.
- Wash linens in hot water once per week to get rid of allergens. Dry them in a hot dryer to kill dust mites.
- Bathe your pets once per week. Since pet dander is one of the major causes of indoor allergies, your nose will thank you.
- Ventilate the kitchen and bathroom. Mold thrives in damp spaces. Remove moisture from the air with built-in vents or a dehumidifier.
Prepare for Spring Allergies—Minimize Your Exposure
If you stick to these preparation tips, you can reduce your allergy symptoms this spring. To learn more about air purification technology designed to improve your IAQ, call us today at On Time Home Services.
Are you looking for professional HVAC services near Temecula, California? On Time Home Services has a team of NATE-certified and experienced HVAC technicians who are here to help find the right air purification solutions for you! Give us a call at (949) 649-8777