Hot summer weather is quickly approaching, so it’s time to make sure your air conditioner is cooling properly before it arrives. One of the simplest things you can check before summer heat officially hits is your air conditioner’s filter. The filter should always be clean to prevent clogs and dirt from building up, which obstructs airflow and causes your air conditioner to work much harder. The result? Higher bills and inefficient cooling in your home all summer long.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to change an air filter:
- Locate the filter – this in the furnace unit (for central AC systems) or in the air conditioner itself (for room air conditioners).
- Remove the cover over the filter – you may need to remove screws or other barriers holding the cover down, but most covers are easy to remove.
- Remove the old filter – if you don’t know the correct air filter replacement, measure the old one, look for any manufacturer’s number, or take the old one with you to buy the new one.
- Choose a new filter – there are a variety of different types of filters that remove different elements from the air. Choose the best filter type for your home in the correct size to fit your unit.
- Replace the new filter – put the new filter in the same way you removed the old one. Make sure you have the correct side facing out (towards you). Filters are usually marked appropriately.
- Replace the cover – put the cover back on the same way you took it off. Make sure to replace and tighten screws or other holds on the cover.
Once the air filter replacement is completed, you’re done!
Remember to check the filter in 30 days for dirt and debris. Your filter should be changed about once a month for clean air and proper cooling efficiency. Routine air conditioner maintenance like this will keep your system working properly and can prevent unexpected repairs.
On Time Home Services Heating & Air Conditioning of Temecula can assist you with all of your air conditioning needs. As a leading air conditioning company in Temecula, we provide expert repair, installation, and maintenance services for the area. For more information, call us at (949) 649-8777